The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has released eight guidelines that must be followed by broadcast stations for broadcast the governorship elections in Edo and Ondo States.
The guidelines were released on the official twitter handle of the NBC on Friday, with the regulatory agency warning that defaulting media houses will be made to face the consequences of their actions.
Naija News reports that the Edo and Ondo state governorship elections have been scheduled to hold on September 19 and October 10 2020 respectively by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Here are the guidelines released by NBC based on the Section 5.3.3 of the commission:
1. Ensure that the broadcast of a partisan politicians campaign, jingle, announcement, and any other form of partisan party identification or symbol ends not later than twenty- four hours before polling days.
2. Do not use any vote obtained at a polling station or from an exit poll, to project or speculate on the chances of a candidate.
3. Relay election results or declaration of the winner only as announced by the authorized electoral officer for the election.
4. Set up a Standing Electoral Complaints Committee to resolve all disputes within 24 hours of receipts of the Complaint.
5. Forward the Committee’s Report in Section 5.3.3 (m) to the Commission within 48 hours.
6. The Broadcaster shall implement the appropriate decisions, including the grant of a Right of Reply or demand for Apology, within 24 hours, and at the same level of prominence.
7. Do not commercialize Political News.
8. Do not broadcast political jingles exceeding 60 seconds.
— nbcgovng (@nbcgovng) August 14, 2020