About 700 people have died in Iran after they infused toxic methanol, in a bid to cure coronavirus. The national coroner’s authority said that alcohol poisoning killed 728 Iranians between February 20 and April 7.
Alcohol poisoning has seen a 10-fold increase in Iran in the past year, according to a government report released earlier in April, amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Kianoush Jahanpour, Iranian health ministry spokesman, reported that 5,011 people had been poisoned from methanol alcohol.
He added that some 90 people have lost their eyesight or are suffering eye damage from the alcohol poisoning.
Hossein Hassanian, a health ministry adviser, said the final tally of people who lost their eyesight could be much higher.
In the Middle east, iran is facing the worst coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East with 5,806 deaths and more than 91,000 confirmed cases. Methanol cannot be smelled or tasted in drinks.
The alcohol was said to have caused delayed organ and brain damage.
Symptoms include chest pain, nausea, hyperventilation, blindness and even coma.
In Iran, the government mandates that manufacturers of toxic methanol add an artificial colour to their products so the public can tell it apart from ethanol, the kind of alcohol that can be used in cleaning wounds