Posted on Leave a comment

Edo: No School Must Resume Until Govt Lifts Suspension – Ogie

Obaseki

The Edo State government has instructed that no school must resume in the state until a fresh directive is issued on the suspension of school resumption.

The Secretary to the State Government, Osarodion Ogie Esq., who disclosed this in a statement on Saturday emphasized that the suspension of schools’ resumption is applicable to all educational institutions in the state.

He added in the statement that the action is to limit the spread of the virus and protect lives and livelihoods in the state.

On possible resumption date, Ogie noted in his statement that the directive would be reviewed on February 1, 2021, when the outcome of efforts to check the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state would be evaluated.

According to him, “The Edo State Government hereby announces that the suspension of schools’ resumption is applicable to all educational institutions in Edo State, from pre-school up to tertiary institutions.

“This directive subsists till February 1, 2021, when efforts to check the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) are to be reviewed.”

He said the government is collaborating with communities and organizations on enlightenment and enforcements of new measures to ensure the compulsory wearing of facemasks in public, use of handwashing stations, restrictions on religious and social gathering and new guidelines for operations of markets, hospitality and transport sectors.

He reiterated the need to avoid crowded places, closed spaces and close contact with people, adding that compliance and enforcement teams have been mobilized to ensure the directives are adhered to.

Naija News recalls Governor Godwin Obaseki had earlier rolled out several measures to halt the spread of the virus in the state during a press conference in Government House, Benin City.

Meanwhile, the Kogi State Command of the Nigeria Police Force has denied the reported abduction of 18 traders by bandits while passing through the state.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the states, William Anya while reacting to the rumours, denied any such happening and urged members of the public to disregard the news.

There had been earlier rumours that eighteen traders from the Kantin Kwari textile market in Kano State have been abducted by bandits in Kogi state.

The traders were said to be on a commercial journey to Abia, Abia state to buy goods when they were accosted by the unknown gunmen along Lokoja-Okene expressway in Kogi state and taken away.

It was also said that their abductors demanded N50m as ransom before they later reduced it to N27m.

However, Anya denied such happening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.