Posted on Leave a comment

Lagos: Generator Fumes Kill Two Hairdressers

The environs of Ogba area of Lagos State was thrown in mourning on Monday after two hairdressers identified as Temitope Olagunju and Baraka, lost their lives in the shop where they work.

Further information gathered revealed that the third woman, an apprentice, was found unconscious and was rushed to a general hospital for treatment.

It was reported that the deceased and the apprentice turned on the generator and were watching television inside the shop.

Meanwhile, when the rain started they had no option than to take the generator to a small enclosure in front of the shop.

Things got messy few hours later when the husband of their boss visited the shop and met the three of them unconscious.

Following the incident, he rushed them to a hospital, where two of them were declared dead and the apprentice was admitted.

Afusat the sister of Temitope noted that her sister’s body has been taken to Ilogbo, Ogun State, for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.

She, however, stated that there could be more to the death of her sister who is married with a child.

Afusat stated, “Temitope used to go to work in the morning and return home at night. We lived together. She started working in the shop just about three weeks ago.”

“We were called around 7 am on Tuesday that she died in the shop. We were told that her boss was not around when the incident happened.”

“However, the boss’ husband said Temitope and her co-worker died. He said he had gone to give them money for food when he discovered that two of them were dead, but the third lady was foaming in the mouth.”

“He said the fumes of the generator they were using killed them. He also told us that he took them to several hospitals.”

The family of Temitope while preparing her corpse for burial claimed that blood spurted out from her nostrils.

Afusat wondered why the case was reported at the Red House Police Station, Iju Ishaga, and not at a station around Ogba, where the incident happened.

“The police released the man immediately. When he was called to return to the station this morning, they only asked him to raise money for the burial,” she added.

Temitope’s parents, who live in Abuja, asked the police to investigate the incident further and not blame their daughter’s death on generator fumes.

The mother of the deceased, Bolanle Akesode, prayed that the third victim who is hospitalised would reveal what really happened.

“The husband of the woman, who owns the shop, is asking us not to escalate the matter and that we can settle it amicably,” she said.

The spokesperson of the Lagos State Police Command, Bala Elkana, while confirming the incident noted that the incident happened in the daytime and there were many witnesses.

He explained that the victims might have died from inhaling generator fumes.

Elkana stated, “It happened around 2 pm on Monday while it was raining. Because of the rain, the victims locked the glass window of the shop and took the generator to a small extension in front of the shop. They further shut the glass entrance door. They were not doing anything, so they slept off.”

“One of them, who woke up and probably realised the source of their problem, crawled to the place where the generator was to turn it off. But she could not make it; she collapsed with her hand on the generator. That was where her corpse was found.”

“The husband of the owner of the shop was returning from work and decided to stop by to check on his wife when he saw the girls from the transparent glass and raised the alarm. People brought vehicles and tried to save their lives. But two died and one is still hospitalised.”

“When the owner of the shop heard about it, she slumped and was rushed to the hospital.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.