Good morning, Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top Newspaper Headlines in Nigeria for today Thursday, 20th August 2020
The Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa, Canada has gone on an indefinite suspension of its activities, following an assault on its staff.
In a statement on its website, the Commission announced that the special intervention arrangement for emergency cases “on discretionary basis” has been suspended.
It was learnt that the Commission had devised a system whereby citizens with emergency cases, were strictly attended to by appointment that allowed.
Also, the commission noted that as part of the physical distancing laid down rules, a limited number of people were to be attended to, based on invitation.
But it said some citizens chose to abuse the system by showing up without an appointment.
Also, it accused citizens of acting in an unruly manner and disturbing the peace at the chancery.
The House of Representatives on Wednesday summoned the management of DSTV, owned by Multichoice, over the increment of the cable television’s subscription tariffs on June 1.
Naija News reports that the House Ad Hoc Committee Investigating the Non-Implementation of ‘Pay As You Go’ Tariff by Satellite Broadcast Service Providers asked DSTV to appear before it next Tuesday.
Recall that the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) had been directed by the House of Reps to ask DSTV to reverse its subscription rates introduced on June 1, 2020.
DSTV is being probed for allegedly cheating its Nigerian subscribers by restricting them to prepaid plans.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has deployed detectives to Oyo State to track down the fleeing serial killer, Sunday Shodipe.
Recall that the suspected Ibadan serial killer, Sunday Shodipe, had escaped police custody.
The escape of the prime suspect arrested for a series of killings in Akinyele area of Oyo state was announced on Sunday by the Oyo State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Olugbenga Fadeyi.
In a statement on Wednesday, Police spokesperson, DCP Frank Mba, said detectives from the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) and the Special Tactical Squad of the Force Intelligence Bureau, Abuja, had been deployed in Oyo State to assist the state command in apprehending the suspect.
Academic staff of Colleges of Education in Nigeria have given the federal government another 14 days ultimatum before they proceed on an indefinite strike.
This was disclosed in a letter addressed to the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, and signed by Taiwo Olayanju, General Secretary of the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union, (COEASU).
The demand from the College of Education lecturers is coming on the heels of an earlier report by Naija News in which University lecturers under the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) told the federal government that they won’t return to classes except government pays their outstanding salaries.
The COEASU letter, which was made available to newsmen on Wednesday highlighted that the 14 days extension is coming after an earlier 21 days ultimatum issued by the union for government to address their lingering issues expired.
Governor Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina State has accused informants who support bandits and kidnappers of been behind the continued killings in the state.
Speaking when he received the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero on Wednesday, Gov Masari said the informants have greatly truncated the unflinching effort of security operatives and government in stemming the wave of banditry and other nefarious activities bedevilling the state.
According to the governor, bandits and kidnappers who launched deadly attacks on villages and communities received information from people in the state.
Security agents on Wednesday whisked away an Abuja based lawyer, Barrister Victor Giwa and a lady while testifying before the retired Justice Ayo Salami-led Presidential Panel inside Aso Villa.
Naija News reports that they were testifying in the ongoing probe of suspended Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu.
The two were taken away to prevent them from further testifying before the panel, which has been accused of bias against Magu.
Recall that Giwa had revealed how he was employed to implicate the suspended EFCC chairman.
A call has gone out to the federal government of Nigeria under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure a level playing field in the forthcoming governorship election in Edo State.
The call was made by human rights organization, Amnesty International which noted that it is noticing signs of violence ahead of the September 19 governorship polls in the state.
To this end, it called on the government to take decisive action in dealing with any person or group that may be planning to unleash violence before, during, or after the state governorship elections.
The call is contained in a statement on Wednesday by Osai Ojigho, Country Director, Amnesty International Nigeria in which the organization called for peaceful conduct of the guber polls.
Angry youths on Wednesday stormed the Oyo State Police Command Headquarters, Ibadan, over the escape of Sunday Shodipe, the prime suspect in the serial killings in the Akinyele Local Government Area.
It was gathered that the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, addressed the protesters.
However, some of the protesters reportedly attacked the headquarters with stones and other missiles.
When contacted the Police Public Relations Officer, Olugbenga Fadeyi, told Punch that some students protested.
The Federal Government social intervention scheme, N-Power, has commenced the payment of Npower stipends to affected beneficiaries.
Naija News reports that N-Power commenced the payment of Npower stipends today, Wednesday, August 19, after seventy-nine days protests by aggrieved batches A and B beneficiaries of the social intervention scheme.
Confirming the payment of the stipends, the Lagos chapter of the Federal Government social intervention scheme, N-Power, wrote on social media network, Facebook: “Breaking; Npower Payment has commenced.”
Barcelona on Wednesday officially announced the appointment of Ronald Koeman as its new head coach of the sacking of Quique Setien.
Before his appointment, Koeman was the manager of the Netherland national team.
Koeman has signed a two-year contract that will come to an end on June 30, 2022.
It was gathered that former Barcelona striker Henrik Larsson may join the Dutchman in Catalan.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.