Good morning, Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top Newspaper Headlines in Nigeria for today Wednesday, 12th August 2020
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday held a meeting with members of the Nigeria Governors Forum Security Council and Service Chiefs at the Council Chambers in Aso Rock, Abuja.
The meeting also had Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Boss Mustapha, the National Security Adviser (NSA) Major General Babagana Monguno (retd), the Chief of Staff to the President Prof Ibrahim Gambari and Heads of other security agencies in attendance.
The Minister for Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, says no fewer than five million candidates have applied for the N-Power programme.
She made the disclosure in a statement released by her Special Assistant on Strategic Communication, Mrs Halima Oyelade.
She said that the registration which commenced on June 26 was to end on July 26 but was extended by two weeks.
The National Examinations Council (NECO) has announced 5th October as the date to start this year’s senior secondary certificate examinations.
The Registrar/Chief Executive Officer of the National Examinations Council, Professor Godswill Obioma disclosed this while briefing Journalists at the Council Headquarters in Minna, Niger state.
He added that the Basic Education Certificate Examinations (BECE) will now end on the 4th of September and no longer 7th September as earlier announced.
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has finally reacted to the possibility of losing the kingship of the Ibeku Kingdom he inherited from his late father.
Naija News reports had reported earlier that governor of Abia state, southeast Nigeria, Okezie Ikpeazu, gave Kanu 21 days to return to Nigeria or lose the kingship Ibeku kingdom.
The IPOB leader replied the Abia Governor that his mission is to liberate Igbos from slavery and not to be king in Abia State.
Speaking further, the IPOB leader stressed that the call to return to Nigeria to be King is to distract him and no man or government can take him away from Biafra agitation.
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has vowed not to allow the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore operate in his state under the guise of a vigilante group.
Fulani group stated that their group is embedded in Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) and already functional in 36 states.
In a statement made available to newsmen on Tuesday and signed by Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the governor Terver Akase, Ortom dismissed the claim as false.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has named Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State as the head of the 104-member National Campaign Council for the Ondo Governorship Election.
Naija News reports that the Ondo Governorship Election is scheduled to hold on October 10, 2020.
The appointment of Sanwo-Olu was made known in a statement titled, “Governor Babajide Sanwoolu Heads 104-Member APC National Campaign Council for Ondo State Governorship Election,” signed by the Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the party, Yekini Nabena, on Tuesday.
At least four suspected terrorist arm suppliers have been killed by Nigerien forces.
The army of Niger republic intercepted the four Libyan arm suppliers on their way to Nigeria to supply weapons.
It is believed that the arms dealers were arm suppliers to the bandits that have been terrorizing Nigeria’s northwestern region.
The government of the United States of America has presented 200 ventilators to the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
The US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Bert Leonard, presented the items on Tuesday at the Abuja premier medical warehouse in the nation’s capital
This is coming four months after President Donald Trump administration promised to support Nigeria with ventilators as the Federal Government battles the COVID-19 pandemic that has ravaged the world.
The federal government will spend N2.3trn on the Solar Homes Systems (SHS), under the Economic Sustainability Plan to provide electricity in rural Nigeria.
The announcement was made by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who said SHS would provide solar-powered power plants to 5 million households.
According to him, the establishment of small centres would enable at least 25 million people to access electricity in villages across Nigeria.
One Prince Mohammed Momoh has been paraded by the Department of State Services (DSS) for allegedly demanding $50,000 from a Bayelsa man to secure an appointment as Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Oil and Gas.
This was disclosed on Tuesday by the spokesperson of the DSS, Peter Afunanya at a media briefing in Abuja.
The suspect, 40, married with 2 children hails from Kogi state.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.